Tuesday, January 7, 2020

My Global Autobiography



I was born and raised in South Carolina. My roots are extremely southern. Growing up, my parents listened to Country music whether it was new or old. It’s what was always playing in the car or at our little cookouts we had every year. I enjoyed older country music the most because my dad would play and sing it all the time. I really began to enjoy the artists Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline. I know not many like country music but it was my music growing up. I discovered acapella groups and bands in middle school. I absolutely loved Pentatonix and the Christian band, Skillet. Also, during this time, I began singing in my churches choir. We would mostly sing hymns and incorporate more modern gospel to our repertoire. I enjoyed singing in church and it is still a huge part of my life today. I joined honors chorus and band in the fifth grade but band never brought me as much joy as choir did. I never quit chorus and I'm so glad that I didn't. 




 I remember singing songs from other cultures all throughout middle and high school. One was a Swahili language prayer from East Africa titled, “Baba Yetu.” This piece incorporated drums and a few string instruments including violins and a bass. Another African piece we did was “Ukutula.”  This piece really helped me to appreciate the African culture and their language in ways I can’t explain. African music is so different but its so fun and enjoyable to sing. 


 It wasn’t until the end of my senior year that I got to really immerse myself into the Mexican culture. For my senior trip, I really wanted to visit California and I was fortunate enough to go with my mom. I have to say, I was very surprised at the different music that was heard while I was there. While, American music was played on the radio, California does really expand on the Mexican culture and heritage. Fun fact: California has the largest Hispanic population and has Spanish, Mexican, Asian and Eastern United States roots attached to it. It’s obviously no surprise that multiple cultures are seen here. Many of the flea markets sold Spanish sombreros and other clothing. I also saw an abundance of Spanish instruments, like maracas and other percussion, that had been made by hand on Olvera Street. California had some Spanish speaking radio stations that played only Spanish music and most of the time places had local based mariachi and folk music bands playing as we walked the streets. Thanks to California, I grew to enjoy the music and appreciate the Hispanic heritage


Converse was really my portal to understanding and listening to a wide variety of music. This is probably my neatest interaction with cultural differences in music. Converse has given me the opportunity to hear many great performances, including the King Singers and the Vienna Boys Choir. I have seen many operas and have sung arias from operas that developed from many different cultures and traditions. Converse has also taken me all the way across the world to Germany where music is very much a part of their world. There were many instances in which someone would be playing the organ in a church as people were touring. Having these opportunities has shown me that each culture should be performed, loved and appreciated and that each one is unique and serves a purpose for the world around us. I have experienced so much here already that I am so excited to learn and explore more as the world and its music has so much more to offer. 😊 




8 comments:

  1. Some of my favorite pieces to do in high school were African songs; they are always so upbeat and fun! I think it is really cool that you were able to take that trip to California and got to immerse yourself in some of the culture there. You have been able to go to so many interesting places and I'm sure that travel has be the best way to interact with different people and their music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved both songs!!! My favorite was the Aftican prayer! I think that it's amazing that you were able to get that experience in high school and that you enjoyed it! Also, to get to go to California? That's amazing! Being able to experience a culture in person rather than through a computer screen is so much more insightful. When I went to New Orleans, it was like an out of body experience. Everything that I thought I knew because of Google was ten times better in person. I love that you got to have that experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, this is Katie Edge...don't know why it has me as 'Unknown'

      Delete
  3. Going to Germany sounds like a lot of fun! Also, country music is a huge part of my life. That is the main genre that my family likes to listen to too. Thank you for the fun fact because I did not know that California has the largest Hispanic population.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With California I was not expecting that many different populations even though knowing it is a pretty big state. It was cool that Converse gave you many different sights of music as I expect it would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a cool transition with the chorus going from just country to a cappella
    to hispanic music. I love Baba Yetu by the way! It's such a cool arrangement. I am happy you continue to learn more about music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your picture from California is so cool! Hispanic music is also beautiful and I love the classical guitar they use sometimes. Also, I have sung Baba Yetu many times in choir in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that Converse has really been a portal to world music and different cultures. The people I’ve met here and the music they’ve introduced me to are vastly different from what I was used to in high school. Also, I love Patsy Cline.

    ReplyDelete