Thursday, January 30, 2020

wrapping it up!

Music of Diverse Cultures was a class I fully enjoyed. It allowed me to gain full appreciation for other cultures, dig deep into the world and fully understand how other cultures celebrate through music and instruments. After learning about other cultures and thier music, I really began to notice that music truly is its own language and has the ability to speak to every culture differently. I think that is extremely special to each individual culture as music helps to shape who they are, not only as people but as tribes, families and nations.


There were so many interesting musical ideas given during this course that finding one particular thing that surprised or intriqued me is quite challenging. However, out of all the places we discussed, I was really interested in the India unit as their music was very unfamilar to me. Although, I did like the Arab world unit as well. In India, I was really drawn to the drum language (konnakol) they use. This still fascinates me every time I hear and watch it being done. I would love to know how konnakol is taught and done so effortlessly. It would also be fantastic if more modern day musicians started to incorporate konnakol into a pop or hip-hip genre. I think that would be so cool. :)
It was surprising to me when it was said that Indian music doesnt focus on the tonal center of the note. This sounded weird to my ear at first but I actually grew to love it. In the Arab world, I thought that the quran was really neat and  something I would want to know more about. If you want to hear Ed Sherran's "Shape of You," with an added flair of konnakol, go check out IndiaRaga. It is my new jam for sure. But for now, here is another video from IndiaRaga.

I have never known a different culture. I always knew country and pop music to be the music I have always listened too. I, also,  grew up religious, so religious music is also a big part of my music repertoire. Ballet, tap and jazz seem to be the only dances (at least for me) popular in south carolina. (Other than the occasional cupid shuffle and Silento that are played at school dances and parties). With that said, music of diverse cultures did definitely show me that the culture I live in, is not only different but also similar to the cultures we studied. Music was similar because there was some music theory, forms and characteristics that we use in western music involved and dances were almost always accompanied. Don't we dance to music?  It was different, however, because every culture has ther own set of rules and instruments to play. For example, we like to hit the tonal center of the note, while India likes to explore the note more. That is hard to grasp but it is something that I wasn't aware of coming into the class.

I really liked the many varieties of clips that were played. Rather new or old. It really does help to hear the music that is being talked about. My favorite videos were the women of blues and the African music clip from youtube. Those made me so happy. I enjoyed the presentations as well. It was neat hearing about Brazil and Greece because I adore them both. I also think the presentations serve as a great opportunity for everyone to practice public speaking and teach in an environment that is suited for both. My favorite thing about the class was seeing and hearing about Dr. Weeks travels. This was a great added component to the class. Really everything, except for the textbook, I enjoyed. We needed to play more of the audio from the book during class,however, because I for some reason could not figure out how to play the examples that were in each of the chapters. This may have just been me though. Other than that, I enjoyed the class!

Africa has always been a fascination to me. I guess maybe it's because "Africa," by Toto is my favorite song, I dont know, but nonetheless, Africa will always be something I want to know more about. I would love to visit Africa one day, either as a fun trip or as a mission trip, so I can be more hands on with the music. I think being there and experiencing something for yourself is more rewarding than just hearing about it. I would really also love to know more about the vocal tradition they have. I love vocal music and I want to know what choral works actually derived from Africa! I also would be up for learning more about the Arab world and their music. As I have no desire to visit, I still would want to know more about the quran.

And just for fun, Here is "Africa" by Toto! :)











No comments:

Post a Comment