Thursday, January 9, 2020

Music and Religion


Image result for crosses

I have attended a Southern Baptist church for as long as I can remember. In fact, I have never attended any other church than the one I currently go too. I have visited other churches because of chorus or different family members but nothing really came close to the experiences I received at my church. My grandma started taking me to church when I was about six years old. Because of her influence, I enjoy attending church every Sunday and I have grown to love the traditions we have as baptists. I am familiar with the catholic episcopal traditions, but the Baptist tradition is where my heart truly resonates.


Image result for hymn book
Music within the Baptist tradition is rooted on congregational hymn-singing. At my church, we always begin Sunday service with a hymn that the whole congregation sings together. Following that, our adult choir sings a few more on their own. We also have solo singing as our prayer opportunity that allows more modern gospel music to be shared. Our church doesn't tend to sing any sacred music though. Music is our worship. We typically don’t dance or yell as much as some churches, although we do encourage and appreciate this, we just simply worship by praying at an alter or raising our hand to the lord. As my preacher always says, we allow music to be a part of our personal time with Jesus . This is our way of thanking and praising the lord for what he has done for us. We truly sing for the honor and glory of the lord. Hymn-singing in this fashion allows for a sense of connection with the entire congregation and I think this makes each service special.


One of my favorite hymns that is commonly sung during our services is “Nothing but the Blood of Jesus.” This is referencing God’s death and how he shed his blood for us on Calvary. I enjoy this hymn because it helps me to express my gratitude for what God has done for me. Music, here, is a replenishing award. It constantly reminds and fulfills the church. 

Though our music connects the church as a whole, the choir music is somewhat exclusive.  Everyone is encouraged to sing if they are capable to do so, but at the same time, there seems to be a limit on the amount of people who can perform or particpate. I have always been apart of the choir and I am the only one who has majored in music, yet I am involved virtually in nothing relating to the musical aspects. This creates an idea of a possible clique. I don't know if all baptist churches have this same issue but it is something I have noticed through my time spent as a baptist. With this being a issue within my church and one that I don't considerably like, I still enjoy the other traditions we share outside of that.

I love being of the baptist culture but I hope to expand and learn more of the different ones!





7 comments:

  1. I have never been to a church before, but I have heard a few church songs from social media. I wonder what church is live. There are quite a few church in the town that I live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to a few southern baptist churches in the past few years and I really enjoyed my time there. The ones I have been to are like yours where there is a lot of opportunities to sing, which I loved. I want to expand and learn more too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting blog. My grandma played a major role in influencing me to attend church services as a kid and even now. After I have come to the US, though I cant find a church similar to the one that I have always been to, I began going to First Baptist. Its pretty new to me but I like their services and also sung the song your have posted in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the picture you posted of the crucifixion of Jesus. Lanna and I faithfully attend worship services at a Methodist and Baptist Church every Sunday. I love "Nothing but the Blood of Jesus" too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great hymn! I've seen so far that hymns are a part of many different churches, whether or not they use them now or not. I like that music that is more traditional still lives on. It's neat how people can still find meaning in different songs and they resonate with the situations in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My church pray at the alter when people want to get right with christ or they want extra prayer. I totally agree with you that music is a way to connect to God

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been going to my church with my family since we started going there when I was seven, so about the same amount of time as you. This church and the previous one we went to are both bible churches. I love the hymn “Nothing But the Blood.” It is a beautiful hymn with beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete